Sunday 12 September 2010

J & I's New Home!

Aaron and I are housesitting my parents' house for a month while they are away, so Jack and Ivy kindly agreed to pack up their terrarium and accompany us to our temporary abode...of course, being the superstars that they are, they didn't help with transportation at all, and Aaron and I had to lug the 40kg terrarium down all of the stairs at our apartment block, then up the stairs at Mum and Dad's. Those dragons had better appreciate what we do for them! 
Jack and Ivy have a nicer view and get more sunshine during the day from their new position than they did in our apartment (they also have their own TV in their new room - I'll have to put King of the Lizards on for them, or maybe How to Train Your Dragon, I'm sure they'd love that, but I guess they might feel a little insecure after watching it seeing as they don't have the ability to fly - well, not that we have seen yet anyway!!), so I am hoping they will agree to move back to our apartment once our stay is over.

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering... do you have any live plants in your tank? We've set up my boyfriends one with sticks and bits of wood and fake plants from the lizard shop (just waiting for the babies to be bred/hatched) but would love to put some real stuff in there and thicken it up a bit. If you have live stuff in there (looks like u do or else they're very convincing haha) could you let me know whats worked for you :) then I can head down to the nursery without worrying I'll buy something poisonous. Ta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also... how do you keep the branches/sticks upright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,
    We did have some real bamboo plants in the terrarium, but we recently took them out because they began growing mould around the base of the plants, and there were lots of little bugs hanging around them.
    We replaced them with artificial ferns from a reptile shop, and the lizards don't seem to mind - Ivy loves sleeping in the fake ferns!
    My husband still wants to get some real ferns I think, so if we end up doing that, I'll let you know how it goes. But the artificial ones look really good anyway.

    The big sticks reach all the way from the floor to the ceiling of the tank, and they are screwed in place at the top. The roof of the tank is metal mesh, and we have down through the mesh into the top of the sticks.

    The shorter sticks are just dug well into the dirt, and then supported with some rocks at the base if necessary.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks for that :) that's a good idea about attaching them to the mesh... ours is like that too so ill get a couple of taller ones and attach them that way. The plants look VERY realistic haha I might shop around a few reptile and even homewares stores to look for convincing (and strong) plants haha.
    Let me know if you get real ferns :) we we're thinking some moss might be nice... and easy to care for! Ta :)

    ReplyDelete